Friday, September 12, 2008

New School

Our kids started school last week. They are both really enjoying it. They have great teachers and have met a lot of new friends. It is different from what we are used to though.


1- We had planned to walk them to school and then realized that NO ONE here walks! (The winters must be pretty exciting). They have 920 students in the school (K-4) and less than 50 kids walk or have parents drive them! So the kids ride the bus that picks them up at the front door. I have to admit it is a lot easier for me. :)

2- Also, you would think with 920 students that the kids wouldn't have a lot of personal attention. Wrong again! These teachers are so involved with the kids. On Jacie's first day her teacher called me to let me know that Jacie was a little sad at recess and that she sat with her at lunch and paired her up with a couple of buddies for the next recess. They call and send notes all the time just to touch base.

3- This is a major one! The school endorses a NO HOMEWORK policy! Yes, you read that right. Studies have shown that kids this age don't benefit from homework assignments so the teachers are not allowed to send any home. The kids are encouraged to read 15 mins (30 for Talden) a night and do a study time. They want the parents to help the kids do educational activities, but there is never an assigned "study time." I can't even tell you how great it has been. I have always struggled to get the kids to do homework after a long day at school. The teachers send ideas of things we could do for study time and that helps to know what they are learning at school and what we could reinforce at home.

4- The school has a PTO that is fully staffed and functional! Parents here are so excited to volunteer and help out that they have amazing activities and organization. Coming from a place where finding volunteers is like pulling teeth, I find this rather commendable. :)

5- There are 5,276 after school activities to choose from. (Seriously I don't know the exact number, but there are lots!) Some of the flyers I got today... Basketball, Karate, Gymnastics, Cheerleading, Chess, Ice Skating, Hockey, NASA exploration, Art, Children's Choir, YMCA and the list goes on and on and on. I think it's great that they offer all these things, but it is so hard for our family to let our kids be involved in all of those things.

6- The kids rotate going to music, art, P.E., and spanish class every four days. They love the spanish and art. The goal is for the kids to fluently speak 2 languages before they are in jr. high. (They have elementary k-4, intermediate school 5-6, jr. high 7-8, and high school 9-12) And they also have "Smart" rooms. They have the whiteboards that can capture the writing into a computer program. I can't explain it because I don't understand it, but it is cool. And the kids have their own lockers.

7- This is another big one... Lunch is... $2.85 per kid/per day!!! I guess we can't complain though because the lunches are SO much healthier than they were in Logan. If the kids don't like the entree of the day they can choose the salad bar. They have a salad bar every day that includes soup, salads, and sandwiches. It is $94 for every 20 lunches for both kids. Luckily we were approved for the reduced lunches so it is only $0.40 per kid/per day. That means they can eat for 7 days to every one they were before we were approved. It is crazy the difference, and I feel bad for using the assistance, but I realize that there are times and seasons in our life when we give and when we take. Right now is a time to take.

Anyway, we are excited to have a good year for the kids and hope you are all doing well. :)

11 comments:

Jim Rowley said...

Wow! No homework! I struggle just motivating myself to motivate the kids to do it. And yes, it is your season to take! With all that you have given....you deserve it. Your kids have changed already. Jacie looks so grown up. Did you cut her hair again?
Love you guys!

Kristi Rowley said...

so that last comment was me (Kristi), not Jim!

Trina said...

Haha... Kristi I have to admit I was impressed that Jim noticed Jacie's haircut. :) Most guys wouldn't ever notice something like that. And yes, I did cut it again. It is the shortest she's ever had it, but she kept begging and when the boys went to get their haircuts I decided to cut hers. It looks cute on her.
The homework thing has been so great. I thought I would love helping kids do homework (before they were in school) but it was always a fight and it is nice not worrying about it. :)

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

What an awesome school. (I'm actually pretty jealous) :) And I love Jacie's hair short, it's so adorable!

Jessica said...

They both look excited to be in school. That is awesome they have such a well organized school. I love Jacie's hair too, very cute! I don't know how parents keep up with more that one child in school. Abby's homework is enough for me. It sounds like they will have a great year.

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

I love it! That sounds so great.
I must admit a BIG reason I decided to homeschool was that my children never were able to be kids. Homework consumed our entire night. I love the learning but when it is so strict with NO discussion involved, I can't imagine that they are learning all that much.
Happy to hear about your PTO, that is exciting, you guys will have such a good year!

Sandra said...

That would be soooooo nice to not have homework! It hasn't been as bad as last year. I thought it was crazy that Danika would be come home with three pages of homework. This year it is one page but she still doesn't like doing it. That's great that they can get a discount with Lunch. Looks like your happy with their school!

Malik and Melissa Marx Hamilton said...

The school sounds so great and NO homework? You can't beat that! I often wonder if homework is helpful for kids this age. Every kids is an individual and sometimes public education isn't very individualized is it? So do all of those after school activities carry a heafty price tag? That is always the kicker for us. We love kids activities that are FREE or at least mildly affordable. Speaking of money... what makes lunch cost so much?? Do parents really pay that or are there lots of mom's packing lunch boxes?
;) Melissa

Shell said...

School sound great! I love that Jacie's teacher was so aware of her needs. And no homework? What a blessing! Lindsey saw the photo of Jacie and noticed right away that her hair was shorter. She loved it.

Susi said...

That sure sounds amazing to me. and they look so happy! That's just awesome!

Amber said...

That's it. I'm moving there! I don't care what the winters are like. I agree with everyone else - no homework is great!