Sunday, October 19, 2008

Our Greatest Fear

I need to still update, but my camera got broken last Sunday and I don't have the pictures I wanted to post. Really quick though, I LOVED conference as usual and Jacie had her 8th birthday and it was so much fun. My parents came from Utah and my sister and her family traveled from Michigan to be here. Jacie's baptism was last Saturday and Jez's parents and brother came too. It was a great weekend. We loved having family here with us. We are already planning our next get together. :) I will post more details and pictures when I can.

The other reason I wanted to post is because I was writing in my journal today and a quote came to me that I love. I was expressing in my journal my thoughts about it and then wanted to reread the quote. I searched for it on the internet and not suprisingly it wasn't hard to find, but I wanted to post it here so I could use it as part of my own story.

Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate,
but that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant,
gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.

Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We were born to make manifest
the glory of God within us.
It is not just in some; it is in everyone.
And, as we let our own light shine,
we consciously give other people
permission to do the same.
~Nelson Mandela

4 comments:

Sandra said...

What a great quote! Very impowering thanks for sharing it!

Jessica said...

I love it. I didn't realize that was from Nelson Mandela. That is a great quote. I am glad that you got to spend some well deserved time with your family.

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

Love the quotes!
I have a hard time "shining". I always wonder, I am being BOASTFUL or humble about it? I find it hard to balance. Do you?
Is that maybe why we don't "shine"? I find it much easier to "shine" in the company of people who will not judge me...my kids!

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

I think it's impossible for you to NOT shine, your amazing-ness just comes through so easily and beautifully! I miss you Grrl. Love, Shauntae