Friday, July 25, 2008

Jez's new favorite colors...

Black, White and Red...
I just realized that many of you may be wondering about our job search. We are excited about what we have found and hope that it will lead us in the right direction.

The first week we were here Jez got a job at T.G.I.Friday's as a night server. He loves it and has made really good money. The people also love him and he has already won awards for his outstanding customer service skills... he even has a "WOW" Friday's pin to prove it. :) I am glad he enjoys it. Being a good server is definitely a talent I do not possess.

The second job (career move) has been a little more frustrating. Jez would really like to get into finance, but unfortunately the financial sector isn't exactly thriving right now. We had a few job contacts lined up before we got here but unfortunately because of the economy those companies have put hiring freezes into effect. In the process of talking to different companies (UBS, Merrill Lynch, Piper Jaffray, Morgan Stanley, etc) the one thing that kept recurring was the advice that the best thing he could do to prepare while the market is bad is to find a job in sales and keep his eye on the market. He wants to be a Financial Advisor and they all feel that having a background in sales experience is really helpful when working with the clients. We considered a financial analyst job, but it really isn't the direction he wants to take since he would be sitting at a desk all day and never working with clients, and also the income is limited/capped and our family can't survive on that right now. So... he has decided to take a job in sales with Verizon Wireless. The company has amazing benefits that we are excited about (health, dental, vision, matching 401k, life insurance, full tuition reimbursement, etc. - With 5 children we need those things) and Jez is excited to finally be graduating from our Tracfones... :)

So for now the plan is to work both jobs and work on getting into the Carlson School of Management at the University of Minnesota. Jez would like to complete his MBA with a specialization in Finance, and then hope that the timing is better for getting in to that industry when he finishes there. If that doesn't work out he is excited about the possibilities of Verizon. The company has a lot of integrity and room to move up so it could be something he does longer term... I guess only time will tell.

So if you are in the market for some really great food, or a new cell phone... you know where to go... :)

Mmmmmm....


Work Phone


Personal Phone

6 comments:

Scott and Amme said...

Congratulations on the jobs! I had been wondering but didn't want to ask since I know it can be a long and frustrating process. I am glad to hear that they appreciate Jez at TGI, because knowing him I can totally see him as a great waiter. It's too bad there aren't more happy friendly people like Jez in the food industry.

Kristi Rowley said...

That's awesome! I'm glad things are working out for you. Anymore scary storms? I think of you guys often. I agree with taking friends for granted. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting together more often. I keep thinking of our talks at the Inn before I would head home for the day. I would always be like an hour late, but I appreciate you and the good friend you are and the good talks we had. Love you guys!

Sandra said...

You know how hungry this post made me! he he. I'm glad things are going good!

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Jez has always been such a hard worker, and you have always been such an awesome support to him... that's how I know ya'll will do great at whatever you do. :)

Jessica said...

Congratulation on the jobs. It sounds like Verizon has some great benefits for you guys. I am glad that he found some good jobs. P.S. I love the family picture.

Anonymous said...

Jez,

I appreciate your story and hard work. Please feel free to contact me with any questions about the Carlson School.

Patrick McCarthy
Associate Director of Admissions
Carlson School of Management
612-626-2954