Thursday, July 10, 2008

Severe Weather

Growing up in Utah I haven't seen much of
severe weather in my lifetime, but I got to
see it today. Jez was getting ready to go to
the bank and a few other places when I just
happened to check the weather report...
We were in an orange alert and the interactive
map was showing the storm was headed our
way. I thought it would be a good idea if he
just waited 5 or 10 more minutes when all of
the sudden the screen was flashing red alerts.
Then the sky goes dark... it was noon and it
looked like 10pm... Um, ok maybe he should
wait until the storm calms down... then starts
the rain... wind... hail... and SIRENS! I have
never had to hide from the weather before and
here I am huddled with my kids in the closet...
Where is Jez??? Oh, he's by the WINDOW!
You know... the one place you shouldn't be
during a storm... anyway, he's saying "Honey,
you need to come look at this" "No thanks"
"No really, come look at this" "Ok kids... stay
put, I'll be right back" Jez is holding back the
blinds and all I can see is crazy wind, rain and
hail... but as I get closer I see the sky... can I
just tell you I have NEVER in my life seen the
sky that shade of GREEN!! Ok, everyone back
in the closet... lights flicker... power goes out
and it is PITCH black... glad we at least had a
flashlight. Ok, I know it sounds dramatic
but really it is kindof neat to see something out
of my ordinary. Needless to say, the storm
passed quickly and we were all ok, but I must
say it is quite an adventure.

First thing in the morning we are putting together
our "Severe Weather Kit." There are supposed to be
more storms tomorrow... Oh but one really great thing,
about 20 minutes after the storm passed our phone
rang and it was our home teacher! Just checking to make
sure we were ok and if there was anything we needed...
and to call if our power doesn't come on soon and he
could run over a cooler with some ice! How amazing is that?!?


I did not take this picture... it was online, but just for
visual effects... see how dark it is under the storm??
This IS the storm that passed by us today.


***Aside from severe weather... we are LOVING
our new dining table. We had Jez's aunt, cousin,
brother and his girlfriend for dinner on Tuesday
night and we all sat around and ate and talked.
It was great! Definitely an investment worth making.

15 comments:

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Wow, the storms, something I don't miss about living in the midwest. That's awesome that your HT was so helpful though!

Jessica said...

Wow, I would have been in the closet with you. That's crazy, But that also sound like Rich, he would want to be watching it. I am glad that everything was ok, and that you have such awesome Home Teachers.

Landon and Trinette said...

The storms are impressive aren't they! You did a great job putting it into words. Until you experience these storms it is hard to imagine what they are really like. I am glad your family is OK. You will get good use out of your storm kit. The storm missed us. I read your post so I was expecting it...but when it got to Lake Michigan it decided to head South. Stay safe!!

Landon and Trinette said...

By the way, your last background was festive...but I love this one.

Peter and Emily said...

Wow! That would be a crazy experience. We are glad you are safe, and that you have such a wonderful home teacher! That kit sounds like a good idea. You'll have to let us know what you put in it. Take care.

The Mann Clann said...

Oh, my goodness! That is amazing. Were the kids scared or did they like the "adventure". By the way, I now covet your big table!! ;)

Jim Rowley said...

WOW!!! I remember recently when travelling to Oklahoma and woke up to the sound of tornado sirens... Eerie feeling when you are used to Utah weather. Glad it passed. Miss you guys.

Jai said...

Hey Trina
I am glad I found your blog. I hope the move went smooth.
Later, Jamie
tjkat.blogspot.com

Scott and Amme said...

AAAGGHHH!!!! Scary. I am glad it passed quickly and you are okay. I know what you mean about a severe weather kit, though. We have to have one for hurricane season. We surely were sheltered in Utah!

Jez said...

Hello Everyone
I would just like to say that the view from the window was better then the view from inside the closet:)

Felicia said...

Todd served his mission in Georgia, where the sirens meant tornadoes. When we first got married, the siren in Newton went off and he was looking around for the bad weather...but it goes off to let the first responders (who are out in their fields farming) know that there's an emergency.
Now we live in a REALLY small town, where there's a siren that goes off every day at noon (no one can tell me why...it's just tradition). It's kind of nice, though, on Sundays because when the siren goes off, it means church is done and the speaker stops talking :o)

Glad you guys "survived" the storms. A severe weather kit is a great idea.

Camille said...

Yipes! I think I have too much anxiety to ever survive severe weather like that. Winters here about put me over the edge! What an amazing home teacher! I guess in all reality that is how it should always be, but sometimes we get soft here in Utah, eh? :)

Marianne said...

Crazy! What did your kids think? I'm pretty sure mine would have freaked out. Hope all is well...miss you!

Jim Rowley said...

Jez, I'll take a window seat.

Shell said...

Hey Trina--
I finally found you! I tried to post the other day and I don't know what happened, but I don't see it...so, if you didn't get it, Happy Birthday! I was thinking of you! By the way, I love your table Grrl.