Saturday, August 9, 2008

Good Weekend

It has been a good weekend here. Jez and I went on our first date here last night. It was so good to get out of this apartment for a little while. We went to Outbacks and it was so yummy. Sometimes us moms forget what it is like to have hot food and your own soda. :) Usually mine is cold by the time I help everyone else and of course all the kids just have to try my drink, even when it is exactly the same as theirs. It was just good.
Then we went to the Kohl's sale and got Jez some much needed work clothes. It's been a long time since I shopped at a store like that (we usually go for Wal-Mart, Ross, etc) and I was reminded that some people wear slacks that are $75 and ties that cost about that much too. It was a good thing we found things on sale because I just can't justify that. I'm not sure how my parents did it, but we were pretty spoiled kids (4 of us) because I used to wear brand clothes every day and didn't think twice about it. We did our school shopping in SLC at Nordstrom's, GAP, Vanity, Lucky, etc... In just one day in high school I could be wearing $400 worth of clothes!! (Dr. Martin shoes, socks and Girbaud's from Nordstrom's, designer belt, a Lucky Brand Dungarees shirt, Swatch or Guess watch, other jewelry, and a leather coat). It makes my mind reel, and I also understand now why my mom got so upset when she saw my clothes all over the floor (sorry mom). I am so grateful for the good parents they were (not because I had everything I thought I had to have - which I don't think is good for anyone) but because I realize now the sacrifices they made for us kids. I'm sure there are a lot of other things they could've (and should've) done with the money. It makes me realize that I am not alone when it comes to sacrificing for my family.
Ok sorry that was a random side note but I thought of it last night when we were shopping... We also went to Bath & Body and I finally got to use my gift cards I have been holding on to for way too long! Ty & Nicole gave me one for my LAST b-day over a year ago and Jez gave me one for Christmas 2 years ago... that's how long it's been since I've been shopping at a mall. :) And I got to smell lots of yummy candles in the Yankee Candle store. I found one I love that is not a seasonal smell which is slightly unusual. I love candles, but usually the fall and Christmas ones are the best.
Then we went back to get the kids from our neighbors. They have 5 kids too so they had 10 kids!! They have a backyard AND a basement (2 bonuses) so the kids had a lot of fun.
Then we slept in this morning and had breakfast at Denny's. The kids love that place and we haven't been for awhile. (Now we remember why... and not just Denny's, ANY restaurant!)
We also did other random things but it is really exciting because you know when you have those "to do" lists in the back of your mind and they keep getting pushed aside and then you FINALLY get them done... it's amazing how such simple things can make you so happy. :)
And now Jez has to go to work and I will make dinner and spend some time with the kids before getting them to bed. Tomorrow is Sunday so I have to get lots of sleep tonight and be ready for a 9am Sacrament Meeting with the kids. This will be the first week back after my crying in the van episode. (If you missed it, read the end of the post entitled "Jez's Mom's Baptism")

6 comments:

Scott and Amme said...

i'm with you on always eating cold food and sharing your drink. I too am a Wal mart and Ross kind of gal. I went to the mall for something not to long ago and almost couldn't handle it. TOOOOOO many choices. I am glad you got to get out. I hope Sunday is better fo you.

Jessica said...

I am so glad that you and Jez got to take a break. I think I forget how nice it is to just get to talk to Rich. We usually spend all night talking about the kids. But it is nice for the break! I'm so happy that you two had a nice break!

Ty and Nicole said...

I'm glad that you and Jez got to go have some fun and finally got to use the gift card. A girl always needs to be pampered.

Susi said...

Trina!! It's so good to hear from you and read your blog! I miss you so much. Sorry I've been such a slacker. Where are you living now? I think you should know what an inspiration you are to me! You've helped lift my spirits in the darkest times of my life. You are such a blessing to me. It just breaks me to know that you're away and I can't just hug you! Please keep in touch and call me too!!!

Sus

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Date nights are a necessity. I'm so glad ya'll could go out together. :) How did Sunday go?

Sandra said...

Date nights? Whats those he he just kidding. I miss our date swap group. Not many people hear have as many kids. You feel bad leaving four kids with someone who has just one or two. Sounds like you guys had fun. I'm glad you got to shop! I too am always impressed at the sacrifice parents make.