Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I need to clarify...

So I realize that there are some things I need to clarify from my last post... Yes we had a great time at the beach (Shauntae please come anytime!) but did the people around us enjoy it so much??? Not really sure. I guess if you like listening to mothers getting after their 9 and 7 year olds about their responsibility to watch over their 2 year old sister after they "promised" (when you know they didn't really promise) to help her. When mom isn't in a swimming suit (because she hasn't gone swimming since her high school days) and the 2 year old doesn't want to stay where she can touch the bottom, and doesn't know how to swim, it can get a little frustrating to mom and everyone at the beach... including the life guard... who are all wondering why I would expect my two older kids to take on responsibility like that. I just have to say I was more than excited to see Jez walking down the beach. :)
Second, when I commented that I appreciate Jez and that he doesn't complain about working a lot did I mention it was because I usually do enough complaining for both of us?? It is really hard to have him working so much (Amber I don't know how you do it having Chris gone for days at a time). It is such a toss up because I have always been a working mom and it has been nice for the income, but there comes a time when you wonder... is it worth it? I have definitely had my share of frustration at being home with the kids 24/7 but it is so good to know that I am the one raising my kids... if not a little scary too. The hardest part is that we have been (barely) living on two incomes and now we are relying on Jez's income alone. As anyone who's been a student knows it is sometimes hard to make ends meet, and thus we also have credit card debt on top of student loans. We have a house that is still not sold so we are paying a mortgage AND rent, and double utilities. And after having almost 2 months without income we are a little short on the savings, which brings me to my next point...
Our quest for the MBA. I like to look at the bright side of things so I gladly accept Jenny's comment of working toward our "dreams" :) For me right now I am seeing it more as our survival. I am grateful for Jez and his hard work (not to mention his willingness and excitement to do it) but things aren't exactly what we had hoped for financially. His intentions with his degree have been to find something with a little higher pay so that we could meet our obligations. The hard part is that what he wants to do isn't an option right now. He talked to a guy from UBS last week who said they were hoping the hiring freeze would be off in 6-8 months, but he wasn't sure. Just depends on the market, which isn't looking so good. The pay and benefits he would have there would be more in the range of what we need. That is why the journey towards an MBA would be helpful. I don't know how people do it. I see families whose kids have so many things and are in all kinds of extra activities... and I just think to myself... how do they do it all?? My kids would love to be in gymnastics, dance, swimming, baseball, karate, etc. but how do we pay for it? I know they enjoy the time here with the family, and at the park, and swimming, but soon the bad weather will set in and everyone is going to go stir crazy.
And as for Michelle's comment about me being a brave hero... I just have to say "Thanks for your kind words of encouragement!" :) I needed to get out of the house as much as they did. Last week during FHE I had an inspirational thought to start our sticker charts again. They faded last time because it never really worked, but this time I had a new idea. Instead of getting a sticker every day they were a great listener (they needed 7 stickers to fill a chart at which point they could redeem it for a reward or save it up to redeem a greater reward) I changed it to be every time they listened the first time they were asked, without arguing, they would get a sticker and they now needed 80 stickers to fill the chart. At first glance they were discouraged because that could take 80 days to get... but I got to explain that there was no limit to how many stickers they could get in a day. Let's just say that they earned lots and lots of stickers on "trip to the city" day. :)
Sometimes it might seem that we live a bright sunny life all of the time, and I really enjoy those times, but they are definitely mixed with many other emotions. We all struggle in our own ways and I am glad for family and friends who can understand that we all having blessings to be grateful for and at the very same time we all have challenges to overcome. That is the greatest part of this journey and I am glad you are in my life to share it with me.

7 comments:

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Hugs to you Grrl. Thanks for keepin' it real. You are awesome, even though you might not feel like it. Keep up the good work. Miss you!

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Check out my blog, I've got a shiny award for you!

Jessica said...

Trina, Thanks for reminding me that everyone is human, and no matter what it looks like from the outside, you don't know what goes on behind closed doors. I think that you and Jez are amazing parents, and I am impressed with your childrens knowledge of the gospel, and I pray that things will work out, and that your condo will sell. I really like the idea of the chart, and I think its a great idea that I would love to try! I will keep my a lookout for some fun indoor activities to get you through the winter!!

Sandra said...

I don't think my side bar telling me when people have updated their blog is working, I didn't see your post about the city. Have you had any offers on your condo? I hope that sells for you soon, I can't imagine paying for rent, mortgage and double utilities. I've been distressed lately with all the things that we need to buy soon. It seems like the list doesn't end but we are in need of a dresser, a DVD player (this isn't nessesary but ours stopped working a couple weeks ago), the TV is starting to shake and you can hear it buzzing which makes us think it may be on it's last leg and bills keep coming in for my doctors visits and the kids etc. My Dad had a stroke so he's in the hospital in SL so taking trips costs gas money,add that, Kevins birthday and everything else and you feel overwhelmed with all the costs. I hear you on not being able to affort dance or gymnastic stuff. I don't think it's good that children get anything they want so in a way I'm glad we can't give it to them but when it comes to things like Piano; that doesn't seem like a spoiler if you know what I mean? Sorry to make this so long but I hope it makes you feel better to know your not alone.

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

Hey, Keep your chin up! HF is watching over you. He did not send our kids here to be in a million activities and spend all of their time away from us. We are what they need and want.
As for $$, we are half way to a tax return. I am counting down the days!

Felicia said...

I hear you, too. I always thought that when Todd finished school we'd be OK...but those loans and CC debt are killers. We are finally to a point where if we didn't eat at all, or buy any TP, shampoo, etc, and had no extra medical bills or car repairs, we could make it on Todd's income. For now, I quilt at home because I have to.

Thank heaven's for tithing. At least you can know it will work out in the end. If we do our part, Heavenly Father will ALWAYS make up the difference.

Amber said...

So...out of curiousity, how much are you asking for your place here in Logan? I keep trying to convince my sister to move into Logan (she lives with my parents in Mendon right now). Maybe I she would be interested.

Anyway - my family went through a similar situation when we moved here to Cache Valley. My dad had a new job here and since the house hadn't sold by the time school started, 2 of my brothers and I lived in a camping trailer with my dad during the week - we went to school and he went to work - then we went back home to Orem on the weekends. It was crazy like that for a few months and then somehow they were able to buy a house here. It took several more months before the house in Orem sold. They were tough times and I remember the discouragement we all felt, but somehow it all worked out. I'll never forget the lessons I learned either. I finally realized how important food storage was, and I learned how to accept help from others. We had to get food from the Bishop's storehouse and I remember how embarrassed I was about that. I just read your post about getting the discounted rate for school lunches and I liked your comment about how there are seasons to take and seasons to give. That concept finally clicked for me when people in our neighborhood randomly left boxes full of food on our porch. We were brand new in the ward and yet there were so many people who cared about us. Suddenly I wasn't embarrassed anymore. I don't know why my feelings changed, but they finally did and now I can look back and be grateful for all those hard times.

And just for the record...I'm not sure how I handle Chris being gone either! His division is working on getting a contract for a company in Egypt so it's possible that next year he'll be traveling there. All I have to say is - I'm going too!